I developed this tester while trouble shooting my CDI system on my 1973 Porsche 911. I found this is and easy way to feed a suare wave signal to the CDI box to see if it was generating a good spark. I learned that I could spend over $300 for a specialized tester, but this seemed a waste of money for the 1 or 2 times I would need this tester. We developed a more modest but effect tester.
This Tester is a small square wave generator that will product a simulated spark signal that will check the operation of all single-channel CD Ignition Controls.
Red LED lights when 12vdc is connected to show the tester is operating.
The Tester produces a simulated trigger signal that fires the ignition just as if the engine was running. If you suspect that your points or point wiring is bad or that the CDI is not working, feed this signal to the CDI "points" input lead to make the CDI fire.
The included clip-on spark plug simulator is connected to the coil wire to see what the spark looks like. This gives you a real time view of the spark quality.
- Hand held tester generates a trigger signal to check the operation of single channel Ignitions and the coil.
- can be used on electronic and points systems.
- 3 wire connection. Red to +12vdc, Black to ground, and White is the simulated points signal
- Triggers through breaker points, amplifier and magnetic pickup trigger inputs
- Can be used on 4, 6 and 8-cylinder engines